Friday, November 3, 2017

Bobo the Clown

Post by: Andrea Laser

When my brother and I were little we shared a Bobo the Clown toy. For those who are unfamiliar with this magical toy, it was an inflatable clown that had a weighted bottom, built for the sole purpose of punching it and watching it go down and pop back up. The contest that we often engaged in was seeing if we could get Bobo to stay down. Alas, no matter how many times we karate chopped, kicked, or took a running start and then punched Bobo, he always popped back up. It was an equally frustrating and entertaining toy with just an added touch of clown horror.

Lately the image of Bobo keeps creeping up in my head. Sometimes life feels a little like playing with Bobo the Clown- we get knocked down and as soon as we feel like we are standing back up, BOOM! Down again. Not down so hard that we don’t pop back up, but down hard enough that we lose our footing.

In my own life, I’ve started to notice that when there is a major crisis in my life, I naturally posture toward God, asking for help. But when I just feel the little Bobo knockdowns, I rarely turn towards God. I have this tendency to not want to ask for help or to not “burden” him with my little problems. I assume that there are certain things that I alone can just handle so I don’t overwhelm God, as if he was this human figure who had limitations. The reality I am trying to embrace is this: God is already there feeling our hurts. He is heartbroken by the idea of us feeling hurt- in both big and small ways.

Here’s my new goal. Trust God to take on both little and big knockdowns. Trust that he wants to be in a meaningful relationship with us, not just for disaster relief, but for joy, little setbacks, big crises and everything in between.

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5: 6-7



Andrea is an Early Childhood Special Educator, as well as mom to Paxton and Wyatt. She and her husband Steve, have been members of BUMC since 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment