Friday, March 10, 2017

Watching Them Grow

I am so blessed two have two young sons. The boys are the 
This last week was a bit of an odd one. First, my youngest son was sick for two days and couldn't attend daycare. This unexpected break gave us two full days together for me to build some fun memories. Despite the fact that we were home and he was in his PJ's all day, we still had hours of time snuggling on the couch watching movies and playing together. It showed me that I don't have to be far from home to have a good time with my children. I'll remember the couch time with him and I know that the next time he's home with me all day, he'll be a little older.

My pride in my 5-year-old son was at an all-time high this week as well. My family was at a housewarming party with a large group of my co-workers. My oldest son was having a fairly ornery and whiney day, and I was somewhat concerned that he'd be a pain in the neck about going to hang out with a bunch of adults. Before we exited the car, I asked (okay, told) him to be on his best behavior while at the party and he told me that he would. Lo and behold, he was so well behaved and polite. I watched him repeatedly approach adults at the party, put out his had for a handshake and say, "I'm Alex, it's nice to meet you."
I once watched Joe, our BUMC music director, turn around and nod at his son, JJ, on the drums after he played what sounded like a particularly tough drum rift during the contemporary service. It was pure paternal pride and I knew exactly how he felt. 
All of the hard work that we've poured into being parents was there on display! I was so proud of him. All week, I've had friends remarking on what a well behaved son I have. I was reminded of a time when I asked my mom about when I learned good manners and she replied, "Everyday." Raising kids is a constant task. My wife and I are constantly saying "please and thank you" and correcting minor mistakes. I guess it must be working! 
It took me having children of my own to fully understand what my mom meant and I look forward to seeing both of my boys grow into well-mannered Gentlemen. I can't wait to see what the future holds for them.
Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.  -Proverbs 22:6


Eric is a Boulder County Sheriff's Deputy and Colorado native who loves to spend time with his family and (self admittedly) gets way too absorbed in the Broncos.  He and his wife, Cristen have two boys and  have been members of BUMC since 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment